Owensboro-Daviess County Regional Airport (OWB) Airport Rescue Firefighting Facility

Owensboro-Daviess County Regional Airport (OWB) officials were advised by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to upgrade the airport’s fire fighting facility. After conducting a feasibility study, it was determined a new 15,000-square-foot Airport Rescue Firefighting Facility would serve the needs of OWB operations. In a significant gesture of support, the FAA contributed 90% of the project funding, with the remaining 10% coming from state and airport resources.

The facility not only meets the needs of the airport, it also serves as a disaster readiness center for Western Kentucky to receive food and supplies entering the airport in response to emergency situations. Doubling as an Emergency Operations Center for the region enables the facility to serve as a training center for first responders and volunteers. The $5.5 million facility includes three fire bays, living quarters, weight training facility, training room, and a three-story training tower.  The facility is staffed by the Daviess County Fire Department.

At a Glance

Owensboro, Kentucky
Project stats
+ 15,000 square feet
+ $5.5 million facility
Mechanical Engineering Electrical Engineering Plumbing Engineering Technology Systems Fire Protection Fire Alarm
Connect with us
Chris Mehaffie, PE, MBA, SSGB
Principal | Civic Market Practice Leader | Senior Mechanical Engineer
View Profile